Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cha Cha's

Cha Cha's

We went out last night to Cha Cha's for Kandie's cousin Sharon's birthday.  There was mole on the menu, so you know I had to have it to test the quality of the restaurant.

I liked Cha Cha's flowery, fountained interior, even if it was a bit cheap.  The standard roving mariachi band was fun, and they cornered us for a song and a tip after they performed a lovely ballad and happy birthday to Sharon.

It reminded Kandie and I both of our time in El Paso almost 20 years ago - in particular of a restaurant called "Forti's" that we used to like to go to now and then.

So the mole sauce was actually quite good.  It had the right balance of sweetness, thickness, and most importantly, chocolate. But unfortunately, the chicken was done to the consistency of shoe leather in some parts. I have to say, 60% of the meat was divine with the mole sauce, but the other 40% was really just about inedible.

Everyone had a good time, but I left a bit conflicted. Good mole sauce is not a thing you take lightly. But you certainly don't pour it over badly cooked chicken. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the fry cook was having a bad night.

No comments:

Post a Comment