Monday, September 13, 2010

"Jersey Boys" at the Majestic

Kandie and I went to see "Jersey Boys" at the Majestic on Saturday night.  I know it's Monday, but I had to teach today, so I spent a lot of time on Sunday getting ready, and blogging had to take a back seat.

Speaking of back seats, boy did we have some.  I think we were third row from the ceiling in the second balcony.  But even so, our noses didn't bleed (much) - The Majestic is a lovely theater and there really isn't a truly bad seat in the house.  We should know, there weren't many worse than ours.


Jersey Boys is the musical story of Franky Valli and the Four Seasons.  Even if you weren't a Valli fan (none of us were especially), you pretty much know all the songs.  It is a fun review with a modest amount of drama and a reasonably feel-good sort of story.  There's hubris and humor throughout. 


For me, I loved the show because it reminded me of how I came into my own tastes in music.  When I was about 12, I started listening to 50's and 60's tunes - old records that I'm not even sure where I got them from.  I loved "Leader of the Pack" and "Walking in the Sand", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", and of course, "Silhouettes."  I still have a soft spot for doo-wop, and love The Nylons, though by now they're old, too.  I was clearly born in the wrong era.  Listening to songs by Kesha and other auto-tuned "artists", I wish for something real, not something completely manufactured and provided in an audio pop-in-the-microwave-and-reheat blandness.  If you feel that way at all on a bad day, get out to see "Jersey Boys" as soon as you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment