Saturday, November 13, 2010

my first professional photography gig

I had my first professional photography gig on Thursday night. It was for Argo Group down at Swig martini bar on the River Walk.

argo group party

I'll post a link to the site when they put up the pictures. Technically they're not mine to share, even though I'm sitting here looking at them.

The party seemed like a huge success, and Argo Group donated $25,000 to a charity called Shelter Box. I'd never heard of Shelter Box, but I think it's a great concept - basically a complete set of rugged camping and survival gear packed in a heavy-duty but light weight plastic box - ready to be deployed anywhere in the world where there is a disaster and people need immediate shelter. The tent is meant to sleep ten - and it is certainly big enough. The Shelter Box people came down and set up the whole kit right outside of Swig (which is below Howl and the Moon and next to Hard Rock Cafe if you are familiar with the River Walk).

Anyway, I had a really good time running around and taking pictures. I didn't ask anyone to pose, but some people asked to have group shots which I did. Otherwise I focused on candids, which is more my style. Plus I was trying to be as unobtrusive as possible - a challenge when you have a big camera and an even bigger flash popping off in an otherwise dark bar.

I'm hopeful I'll get another chance to do an event like this again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment