Monday, August 23, 2010

Garcia's

Kandie and I sent the kids off to their first day of school in Texas, so we decided to celebrate that we had survived the move by going out to lunch at Garcia's (3820 Farm-To-Market Road 3009, Schertz, TX 78154).

Garcia's is on the cusp of being a really remarkable small-town restaurant. It has an odd mixture of decoration, with nice art on the walls, and mostly nicely furnished in a simple, understated style - but then it has a couple of large folding tables with chairs that look like they came out of a church basement, and boothes that have worn/torn seats. An odd kind of ambience that's not quite quirky enough to be cool.

But that's just the surface. The service was very good, with a polite and attentive wait staff.

The menu is very reasonably priced for the value conscious eater like myself - with most plates under $8.

I started to order the cilantro enchiladas, but the waitress suggested I try the special, which was one cilantro enchilada and one chipotle enchilada, with rice and beans, and tea for $6.75.

 

I'm really glad I did. It was excellent. Both sauces were wonderful. The cilantro sauce was creamy and cool, the chipotle sauce was smokey and mildly spicy. I would order either of them again, and recommend that you try both when you get a chance.

Backing up, the salsa was a bit plain - basically just pureed tomatoes, which I am beginning to see is a local thing I could do with out. Come on - I was some kick in my salsa. It needs to have some peppers.

Garcia's gets a thumbs up from me - we'll be going back again soon - especially since it's just around the corner from our new house.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Yum. And I had to read this JUST before lunchtime. Leftover noodles are going to seem so plain in comparison.

    ReplyDelete